For many people, a sports massage is just another name for a regular old massage, but that’s not quite the case. There are some key differences to be aware of because these will help you to decide whether you need a sports massage or another kind of massage next time you see your massage therapist.
But how do you actually know if you need a sports massage? There are some key signs and symptoms that you should be looking out for because these tell you that you need a sports massage. There are many examples and we’re going to learn more about them, as well as what sports massages really entail, below. So read on now.
What is a Sports Massage?
A sports massages is a deep tissue massages that aims to alleviate aches and pains while speeding up the recovery process of athletes and people who are active regularly.
- Tailored approach: Each sports massage is unique because it depends on where your problems lie and which muscles you use most.
- Sometimes painful: The deep tissue massages can be pretty harsh and painful, but the benefits are immediately noticeable afterward.
- Deep muscle massage: The deep muscle massage technique really does produce results.
They’re for People Who Are Active a Lot
First and foremost, people who are active a lot require sports massages. If you’re someone who has aches and pains through sitting a lot, you would benefit from other types of massages rather than sports massages.
- Sports take their toll on the body: People who do a lot of sport will find that this eventually takes its toll on the body.
- Active people should have regular massages: Anyone who is active a lot should make the most of the health benefits brought about by sports massages.
- Boosts recovery: It’s all about boosting the recovery process and getting ready for the next workout.
Feeling Stiff a Lot
If you find that you’re always feeling pretty stiff after doing sports, it could be the case that you need to see a massage therapist. It’s a sign that your body is not really recovering properly and massages can help with that.
- Standing stiffness is common: Standing stiffness is a common problem and it’s a sign that you need a sports massage.
- Post-activity stiffness can be avoided: Feeling stiff after activity and recovery can be avoided if you get a professional massage.
- Warm downs will help too: If you warn down properly, this will help you avoid that stiffness as well.
Experiencing Performance Limitations
Everyone who’s serious about playing sports wants to perform to the peak of their ability at all times. But if you’re not getting the right massages and are not recovering properly, you will experience frustrating performance limitations.
- Lack of massages could stop you performing well: Peak performance is only possible when your body is in the right condition, including your muscles.
- Massages facilitate healthy blood flow: Healthy blood flow is one of the most important benefits of massages for sports players.
- Recovery is essential in between activity: Recovery is one of the most important aspects of activity because it allows your body to improve its condition.
Aching Deep in the Muscles
That aching feeling you get deep in your muscles can be really frustrating, and it’s a sure sign that you need a deep tissue sports massage to get to the heart of the problem.
- Repeated muscle use often leads to aching: When you play sports, you use certain muscles repeatedly, and this usually leads to deep aching in those muscles.
- It can be present in the joints too: Joints can also suffer a lot when you go through the same motions a lot.
Getting Headaches More Often
This might seem like a strange one, but when you body is stressed and pushed to the limit, headaches can be experienced. So this could be a sign that you need a sports massage.
- Stress in the body can present itself in many ways: Stress comes in all shapes and sizes, and muscle stress can lead to problems such as headaches.
- Your muscles need to relax for your hold body to: When your muscles are relaxed, that’s when the rest of your body will relax too.
Now that you know how to decide whether or not it’s time for you to receive a sports massage, you can start looking out for the right signs. If you’re experiencing some of the things mentioned above, a sports massage carried out by a professional massage therapist who knows what they’re doing could really help a lot.